Strength vs Agility

Go down

Strength vs Agility

Post  DM on Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:38 pm

In another thread ... I mentioned that someone with a 10 Agility and a 1 Strength, would probably take 100 years to kill someone.

Nerethel responded with no, because the additional points of hit, would be converted to damage.

Why have strength then?

Need to see that a Strength Build (Some strongman with a club) could be competitive with someone with a Agility Build (Some agile nymph type).

With Skill:Agility, you get all the added "Cheese" of adding to the Dodge/Range abilities ... where Skill:Strength doesn't get much besides Toughness.

Eric
DM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Strength vs Agility

Post  Nerethel on Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:23 pm

Close. Strength causes damage, and allows a character to wield a larger weapon. But more importantly, Agility and Dexterity are different. Dexterity is 'active', and is what is used to generally do things. Agility is 'passive', allowing reaction to things, like defense. The same really goes for all the attributes, with active, outgoing, yang abilities, and passive, defensive yin abilities. Strength is active and Body is passive. Dex is offensive and Agility is defensive. Intelligence is proactive while Wisdom is reactive. Charisma is the force of personality, while Comeliness works even if you're sleeping.

Even the two magic sources kind of follow that pattern. Arcane is thought out and created, while Faith is called upon. (Thank you for that suggestion, btw, Eric)

I will post an example or three in the next couple of days. There are some in the chapters I wrote online somewhere, but they can be simplified and clarified a bit I think.
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

Your character sheet

Post  DM on Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:04 pm

It seems to claim otherwise ... there are many active skills (IMO) under Passive Stats ...

Makes your comment a little confusing.

Eric
DM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerethel on Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:17 pm

I see what you mean, but it's more of a philosophy than anything. The 'passive' skills aren't always all that passive, but rather oriented toward different aspects of an attribute. Dexterity is more for manipulation of things, while Agility is meant to move the body around. In this case Dex is for attack and agility is for defense. It's not an exact science, but I tried to give it some kind of sense.
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

Keeping you Honest

Post  DM on Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:19 pm

Just keeping you honest.

Eric
DM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerethel on Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:25 pm

Yeah. I tend to skim over things a little more when I have to type with thumbs on a phone. I appreciate the checks though! I've been writing this in almost a vacuum for a long time and it's good to get some critical feedback. Overall though, what is your general impression, if I may ask?
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

Still Early to Tell

Post  DM on Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:47 pm

I'm still trying to feel out the rules. Rules normally are the easiest way to get a feel for the game. And there are parts of your system I still confused on.

The Dice system you are using is reasonable ... but everybody is going to need a copy of the master chart ... (Which is in the excel sheet) to know what to do. I also really need to get an idea of sample target #'s.

I know as a rule you prefer the concept of Style over muscle ... so I'm waiting to see how Muscle can trump Style/Dexterity.

We haven't opened up the can-o-worms thats magic yet.

I like the concept of the world ... but I do think you should include the possibility ... the transfer of buildings as well.

You did mention you wanted it to be very quick to make a character. Your character sheet almost needs to be longer and include all the skills listed on the skill sheet. Maybe 2 pages ... front to back ... and really didn't see anything to control your characters condition.

I'm still asking questions ... but nothing is sending me running the other way ....

Eric

DM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerethel on Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:26 pm

"I'm still trying to feel out the rules. Rules normally are the easiest way to get a feel for the game. And there are parts of your system I still confused on."
I agree. The forum is a good start to get things going, but communication can be tedious. On the other hand, it is a good way to be sure what I am writing is clear without the input from me directly.

The Dice system you are using is reasonable ... but everybody is going to need a copy of the master chart ... (Which is in the excel sheet) to know what to do. I also really need to get an idea of sample target #'s.
The chart is in a pattern - your total is what the dice would total up is they rolled maximum - but it's pretty extensive. But it's about the only chart there is (until you get to magic, that is). As for target numbers, a solid challenge is around 7 or so. Then Difficulty is factored in for longer tasks to really make things hard. Smile

I know as a rule you prefer the concept of Style over muscle ... so I'm waiting to see how Muscle can trump Style/Dexterity.
Rolls in excess of defenses are (in theory) small, while strength is never reduced in its effect (aside from counting half from thrusting attacks). However, in thinking on this a bit, excess skill damage might be reduced by half for blunt weapons or something... I want to play-test this to be sure. It's one of those things that make sense to me in theory, but need real testing.

We haven't opened up the can-o-worms thats magic yet.
Oh, and what a flavorful and squishy can of worms it will be!

I like the concept of the world ... but I do think you should include the possibility ... the transfer of buildings as well.
I'm not opposed to the idea, just hadn't given it proper consideration yet. The added dimension of moving portals can be quite daunting, giving a whole new set of strategies in a fight, or a way to have the GM arbitrarily teleport you across the world...

You did mention you wanted it to be very quick to make a character. Your character sheet almost needs to be longer and include all the skills listed on the skill sheet. Maybe 2 pages ... front to back ... and really didn't see anything to control your characters condition.
I might have to do this - 2 pages. Something about that is... wrong? to me. Not sure why.

What do you mean by condition?

I'm still asking questions ... but nothing is sending me running the other way ....
And this is something for which I am very grateful!
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

Conditions ....

Post  DM on Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:15 pm

Condition: Aka Health, HPs, Status, etc, etc ...

Eric

P.S. ... Just a wild though ... if you changed the translations from specialization to style ... and left style up to the control and arbitration of the DM and Players ... I think it would open up some possibilities ....

DM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down