Hows it happen?

How many points should we use?

Eric
DM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Character Creation

Post  Nerethel on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:58 pm

A new character will start off with about 12 attribute points.

Score Point cost Magic and Faith Scores Point cost
1 -8 0 0
2 -4 1 1
3 -2 2 2
4 -1 3 4
5 0 4 8
6 1 5 12
7 2 6 16
8 4 7 20
9 8 8 24
10 12 9 28

The tables don't really translate well to forums, but essentially, an attribute (Strength, Agility, etc) starts off at 5 for free, and can be bought up or down for points. The left columns are for all the 'normal' stats, while the right columns are for Faith and Arcane (Magic stuff!)

Then you receive 25 skill points that can be spent on skills and specializations. These are straight cost - a score of 4 costs 4 for example, but they can only be brought up to the score of the attribute they are under. You can't have a Perception score above your Wisdom score, for example.

Then, you choose your species... Hmm. I will fix this. Let me just put all the chapters I have written thus far onto Google Docs, and you cna see them as you like.

I'm still hashing out the details of how magic works with deities, but that should be ironed out a bit in the next week or so. That has been my delay in putting up the files thus far.

More later...

KNS
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerethel on Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:18 am

Fractured Destiny
It's a working title, but here is a link to the files. Well, most of them. I'm working on editing and such for magic and skills. Let me know if you can see them or not. I don't think I've ever worked with Google doc sharing before.
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerethel on Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:28 am

With the automated character sheet (let me know if it doesn't work for you - it's in .xlsx format), character creation should take about 5 minutes if you have a concept in mind and a pretty good idea of how the rules work together. But, as always, ask me anything! I want it as clear and easy as possible, but not one bit easier! Wink

KNS
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

System Name

Post  DM on Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:50 am

Is the System Name : Fractured Destiny?

I like it .... if not ... nm ... nothing to see here.

Eric
DM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Characters ...

Post  DM on Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:54 am

I'll try and get some characters up soon ...

Eric
DM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerethel on Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:33 pm

Steven,

Cool! A brownie assassin-type! Like it. Remember, you have 12 points to spend on attributes, too! And, you've only spent 17 points out of 25 for skills and specializations, so you have more abilities and stuff to customize.

And that's all there is to basic character creation! I also would like it if you would fill out the Character Traits sheet, to really flesh out your character.

I'm actually glad you are choosing a Brownie, as size is an important factor to the game. I want to see how well it works out.

As always, feel free to ask me anything!

KNS
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

The Numbers ...

Post  DM on Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:13 pm

Depending how your system views low numbers ... you have some sweet spots.

At the lower end. 3,5 and 7.

At the upper end. 11,13,15,17 and 19.

Is this the type of dice you roll for the appropriate checks? Stat Dice * Skill Quantity?

Eric
DM
Admin

Back to top Go down

brownie sheet

Post  steven_h_d on Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:41 pm

I should be able to look over the sheets this weekend and maybe fill it out some more. downloaded the docs to my pin drive here at work so I can see them at home.
Yeah I tend to lik\ve outside the box so should be a good test.
steven_h_d

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerethel on Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:36 pm

Eric,

Yes, the dice have sweet spots (including 9, where the minimum should be 3 - a typo). I wanted to make the progression as smooth as possible using normal dice (no d7 or d5). Adding one is undesirable, but better than doubling everything to make the dice even out. The good thing is that rolling all 1s for these odd-numbered rolls is just as easy as the level before. Rolling two 1s on 2d4 or 2d4+1 is the same odds.

As for what to roll, add the stat, skill and specialization together and roll that number. That's it. Any bonuses add to the Total before you roll.
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

Just checking ...

Post  DM on Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:26 pm

Just checking ... if you have a stat of 3 ... and a skill of 3 ... you'd roll using the table above (ignoring my typo of course), using the value for 6 ... or 1d6?

Eric
DM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Specializations

Post  DM on Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:19 pm

Whats the perk/use of Specializations for skills?

They required? recommended?

Eric
DM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerethel on Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:33 pm

Specializations add to the total of your roll. So having them gives you that much of a bonus to doing that thing. You would get your Attribute + Skill + Specialization to roll on the table. If that total is 6, you roll 1d6. If it is a 13, you roll 1d8+1d4+1. Then, any maximums on a die are re-rolled and added to the total.

Nerethel

Back to top Go down

Skills Usage

Post  DM on Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:59 pm

Ok ... I've got the fact that its Stat+Skill+Specialization= Where on the chart to find your dice.

During Character creation, is Specialization the same cost as Skill?

and does Specialization follow the same limit as skill (Not greater than the stat?). Or in otherwords could you have a Stat of 5, a Skill of 5, and a Spec of 5 ... letting you roll using the 15 mark on the table?

Eric
DM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerethel on Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:19 pm

You got it. Thespecialization cannot be higher than the skill it's under. And yes, if you have all three at a 5 each, a total of 15, you would roll 1d8+1d6+1.
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

Age of the current year

Post  steven_h_d on Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:36 pm

Alright I see the normal age for a brownie, am picking 62, there are 7 days a week, 35 days a month, 10 months. So current year is 634 on calendar sheet so if I am 62 I was born in 572.
And they say brownies are not clever!
Am 11" tall and weight 2.75lbs and wear a small suit of leather armor
light brown shoulder length hair, clean shaven, blue eyes.
have an older sister and brother, and a younger sister.

Goal, assassin for hire, someone has to feed the family since dad is away for several years

I see the name of the days, did I miss the name of the 10 months?

anyway don't have a 100 sided dice, but filled it out best I could. Make corrections as needed.

steven_h_d

Back to top Go down

Brownie files in fractored Destiney

Post  steven_h_d on Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:48 pm

Ok someone smarter than the brownie, copy the files from our (eric's) shared folders to Kris shared folders. Unless he can see them where they are, just so we all put them in the same folder to look at. Thanks
steven_h_d

Back to top Go down

Twinks/Munchkins

Post  DM on Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:16 am

You are going to have an issue with Twinks/Munchkins ... if you don't limit specilization at the time of character creation.

Maybe limit it to half the associated skill maybe.

Just my thoughts ...

Eric
DM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerethel on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:27 am

You may be right. I originally had it be only skills and no specializations, but wanted people to have a character they really wanted. In theory, if all the points are spent into a few skills and specializations, there would be too few left for other skills that would come into play. I am starting to believe that the original idea was better.
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

Skills vs Specializations

Post  DM on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:42 am

I want to mention that Shadowrun solved this kind of issue, by having a specialization, be treated as a penalty to the base skill if you weren't using the specialization.

An example ... Firearms at 5 ... specialized to Pistols +2 ... would make Pistols 7 ... but Generic Firearms at 3 (5-2).

Just reminding you of that systems handling of it ... This was just during character creation ... nothing stopped you from raising those independently afterwards.

Maybe have specializations cost double? So during creation people focus on primary skill vs specialization?

Eric

DM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerethel on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:54 am

Oh yeah. I remember that rule from Shadowrun. That was a long time ago...

Double cost for specializations sounds like a good thing. I like it. Consider it implemented.
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

Post  Zandar on Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:25 pm

Uh what?

So um yah what?

Take a look at my test 2 when you can K. Just tring to get a grip on the chr stuff.
Skills i get kinda get. Stats making my head spin.
Ability points at 12 just right or a bit high cant tell atm.
Skill points are verry low or i am missing something.
Zandar

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerethel on Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:06 pm

You got the Attributes right! You have more skill points though. Remember, skill points are a straight cost - a skill of 3 costs 3 points, a skill of 7 costs 7 points, etc. Don't think too hard on it. Smile

Nerethel

Back to top Go down

Juten Ot'Rouble a gnome

Post  steven_h_d on Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:45 pm

There will be no gnomes in this world, Juten Ot'Rouble. Or was that the last world.

straight cost, oh. here I saw something about a 5 was 0 cost a 3 -4 and we have 12 points
so my 9 cost me.....ah HELP!.

Ok - Gnome and brownie are lost in a bar, when the powers that be figure it out, check the wine cellar, that where we be.
steven_h_d

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerethel on Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:12 pm

Ok. I see where you're coming from now. Attributes and Skills are treated differently when you make a character.

Attributes - Strength, Dexterity, Wisdom, etc. - all start at a base score of 5. You add or subtract to those according to the little table so that they add up to no more than 12. A score of 6 would cost 1 point, a score of 7 would cost 2, but a score of 8 would cost 4. It's all in that little table, wherever it is.

Skills and Specializations are different. They start at 0. You have 25 points to distribute among them as you like. It is an even buy - point for point - but you can't have a skill higher than the Attribute it's associated with. For example, if you had, say, a Wisdom of 6, you would not be able to raise any skill under Wisdom, like Perception or Empathy, above a 6.

Specializations cost double, so a Specialization like Spot (under Perception) with a score of 2 would cost 4 points. A score of 3 would cost 6 points and so on. You could not have a specialization over it's Skill. So with a Perception of 5, you could have a Spot anywhere from 0 to 5.

Is that a little more clear?
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum