Reasoning and backstory

Go down

Reasoning and backstory

Post  Nerethel on Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:53 pm

Alryx is a world that I created many years ago. It has two moons and two rings, making the night sky very interesting. My little creation is an eerie mirror to Pandora, from the Avatar movie, in that the planet is actually alive, and influences its own life forms' evolution. When the movie came out I experienced a "sad elation" - elation because my world was realized in full, 3-D color action (more or less), but sad in that, if I ever wrote about my creation to any extent I would now be seen as a hack, 'copying' the idea from that k00l m00vi3 I just saw! (sigh)

Anyway. Alryx is a world of magic, which is actually the life energy of the planet given form. Portals open up periodically, both close and far, and sometimes off-world altogether, accounting for the large variety of species that inhabit it. When the two moons cross in their orbits, portals are more common, though they can appear at what seems like random. They can last anywhere from a few moments to several years, can be the size of a pea or as large as a house. They can manifest above or below ground, water or air, almost anywhere!

'Natural' portals are still a rare thing, so seeing one is still amazing, but careful study of them has led to a school of magic exclusively for portals, to open and control them. No one has been able to predict natural ones yet, nor control ones that occur.

These portals are what have opened to allow passage from the various worlds of the different species, and neatly explains how they could all conceivably exist at one time on one world.
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

The Hero's challange is to

Post  steven_h_d on Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:14 am

What would be the heros challenge, defeat an evil ruler, obtain mass wealth and become rulers of small kingdoms?

Or are we the invadors to capture the wild native women, explote the planet resources and return to our dwarven planet....lol.
steven_h_d

Back to top Go down

Re: Reasoning and backstory

Post  Nerethel on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:52 am

The simple answer is: yes. All of these things, and more!

The world is a big place, with many regions and countries around its surface. Adventures are tied to the goals of the player characters, and can take on many facets. Just as with other worlds (Toril, Athas, Krynn, etc.), the game is not a closed system, but open to possibility.

This is one reason I so need to playtest the game- to test limits and such.

The portals open things up further, with not only dealing with things that come through, bit eventually learning how to traverse them, and open up the game into different genres, if need be. But that's theoretical discussion for later. :-)

Right now I have an adventure idea cooking in my head, but it will not take full form until I know what kinds of players and characters I will have participate in it.

But yes, you can play Boris the dwarf and invade the world with your army of dwarves to take over all the breweries if that's your thing. ;-)
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

World

Post  DM on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:07 pm

Like the premise of the world ...

How often does a major race migration occur?

Are building and landmarks effected by these Rifts/Portals?

Is the "World/Gaia" neutral?

Eric
DM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerethel on Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:57 pm

New species come in with a full migration every few centuries, give or take. It varies depending on the destination portal.

Buildings are not destroyed or anything directly, though if a portal does open through the middle of one it would have to be structurally sound enouh not to collapse. The border of a portal is not what will get you.

The world itself is interested in diversity, as it "feeds" off the psychic energies of it's inhabitants. It won't try to get a destructive species if it can help it, so barren world contact is rare.
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

World

Post  DM on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:55 am

Ok ... what is the percentages for the world ....

Civilized ...

Species ...

Water ...

Terrain ...

And the reason I asked about structures ... is that if structures could be brought over by the portals ... you could have instant dungeons ... just add portal.

And I'm getting a lot of feel for "life" stuff in your world ... what about "death" how is death and undeath controlled/viewed?

Eric
DM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerethel on Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:58 am

I was waiting for you to ask something like this. I know you too well.

Death is handled differently by each culture. However there is a whole field of magic devoted to dealing with the dead, Spirit magic. You can sense, communicate, control, raise and resurrect the dead with this magic. Death is a part of life after all.

Portals are generally stationary, so portaging over a static structure isn't usually possible. But, a dungeon can be fed by a portal, constantly stocking it with baddies.

I haven't worked out full percentages for each aspect yet, but I'm working on it.
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

Going over the region / City information

Post  steven_h_d on Fri May 13, 2011 2:21 pm

So I'm going over the city region information:
location type,
income type,
population % of races.

As in coastal town, fishing
mountain pass, transportation taxes
minnig town, metal production

Is there a map, to show relitve location from region to region.
Most likely to travel from A to B is by mountain pass,
boat, up river, cross desert, etc

you mentioned British Ilses, is that a basic likeness?
steven_h_d

Back to top Go down

The British Isles

Post  steven_h_d on Fri May 13, 2011 2:30 pm

The earliest known references to the islands as a group appeared in the writings of sea-farers from the ancient Greek colony of Massalia.The original records have been lost; however, later writings that quoted from the Massaliote Periplus (6th century BC) and Pytheas's On the Ocean (circa 325–320 BC) have survived. In the 1st century BC, Diodorus used the Latin form, Πρεττανια (Prettania) from Πρεττανικη (Prettanike), Strabo used Βρεττανία (Brettania), and Marcian of Heraclea, in his Periplus maris exteri, used αἱ Πρεττανικαὶ νῆσοι (the Prettanic Isles) to refer to the islands. Historians today, though not in absolute agreement, largely agree that these Greek and Latin names were probably drawn from native Celtic-language names for the archipelago. Along these lines, the inhabits of the islands of Pretanike were called the Πρεττανοι (Priteni or Pretani). The shift from the "P" of Pretannia to the "B" of Britannia by the Romans occurred during the time of Julius Caesar.

steven_h_d

Back to top Go down

Which could match the portal

Post  steven_h_d on Fri May 13, 2011 2:32 pm

As different waves of cultures moved in to take control of the lands. Just getting a feel of how people of old would feel towards the latest wave of beings to arrive.
steven_h_d

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerethel on Fri May 13, 2011 4:40 pm

Much of how a new species is received depends on how the portal arrives and the region in which it manifests, as well as the nature of the creatures of the region and the new arrivals.

Many species take some time to come across, wary of the magical portal that just appeared there. Humans, for instance, took about a year to come across more than a few people.

If the land in inhabitable to the new species and isn't claimed directly, the transition is simple and quiet. Humans were fortunate to have met northern centaurs first, for example.

A portal could appear in a populated region, however, and this could start conflicts that lead to inter-dimensional war. Inhabitants here go to other worlds as well when they open up...

So, I am thrilled that you are thinking about this. The portals make the traditional invasions or encroachments seem tame, as a portal can wreak havoc on a region as easily as it could bring prosperity. Imagine an impoverished land gaining access to lush farmland instantly, or a desert region gaining instant access to a rain forest. Consider the chaos that would ensue when beam weapons are intoduced into a society, or computers, or any higher technology. (This has yet to happen on a large enough scale to matter) Even valuables like gold (or whatever) might be plentiful and cheap on other worlds. THe possibilities are endless.

And then there are the plagues, the hordes, the potential evil of a corrupted world...

No shortage of plot possibilities, no sir!
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

Map of Fraggle Rock

Post  steven_h_d on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:52 pm

So is there one main land mass, two, three? seperated by lake, sea, river, ocean.
Can the land of one group cross to the other, by boat, plane, train or just portals when in season. Even when one village primary income is from fishing, there is also a need for craftsman to build the boats, blacksmith or factories to make weapons, impliments for farms, homes, etc. So unless a walmart is nearby with weekly deliveries the town needs to be self reliant to some degree.

Which is why was asking if the towns were set on a map yet. Knowing the relation in distance, can set the tone of the village. Are we near a hostile or freindly town/towns depends on if we need a standing military, fort. If we have valuable mines that produce things to make armor, then there may be a blackmarket for said miners that work in the company mine...etc.

also I just like maps of contries, so I can plot the takeover for the brownies...lol.
steven_h_d

Back to top Go down

Maps

Post  DM on Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:16 pm

Once somebody invents the satellite ... they'll get right on those maps ....

DON
DM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerethel on Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:08 pm

Actually, I have some maps made already. I need to update them for clarity and post them online. Once Ren Faire season is over I can get to doing some of those kind of things again. One more weekend, and a week to catch up on the house!

Nerethel

Back to top Go down

Post  steven_h_d on Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:06 am

DM wrote:
Once somebody invents the satellite ... they'll get right on those maps ....

DON

DM - Hate to break it to you but we had maps long before satellites...lol
(mostly incorrect, but close enough to drive wagon trains to california)

Kris - Hey, no problem on it, know you are busy. Just keeping the interest alive.
steven_h_d

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down