Pantheon of my world

Go down

Pantheon of my world

Post  Nerethel on Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:25 pm

I will admit that I stole heavily from The Rose of the Prophet trilogy for my pantheon. It's just so elegant, I couldn't help it!

Picture an icosahedron (20-sider). Each facet (side) represents a god, while each point represents an aspect. So, each side has three points, and each god has three major aspects.

Points on opposite sides of the die are opposite in function: chaos and order, charity and greed, good and evil, etc. So there are twelve aspects and twenty gods.

Aspects - Deity - Theme
Good, order, freedom - Kai - Sun
Good, freedom, charity - Ganja - Harmony
Good, charity, faith - Arshon - Moon
Good, faith, tolerance - Kelda - Life
Good, tolerance, order - Domah - Justice
Order, freedom, reality - Felelera - Nature (earth)
Freedom, charity, intolerance - Calde - Liberal
Charity, faith, chaos - Solit - Luck (Remember this one, Eric? "Solit doth provide")
Faith, tolerance, dependence - Jai-Mophe - Healing
Tolerance, order, greed - Zevis - Water
Order, greed, reality - Sophe - Rings
Freedom, reality, intolerance - Lommis - Assassins
Charity, intolerance, chaos - Oneida - Fire
Faith, chaos, dependence - Shae - Air
Tolerance, dependence, greed - Gatte - Wealth
Greed, reality, evil - Katek - Moon
Reality, intolerance, evil - Sieris - Death
Intolerance, chaos, evil - Caug - Madness
Chaos, dependence, evil - Naar - Darkness
Dependence, greed, evil - Gex - Undeath

Not all gods are known or recognized everywhere, depending on the culture of the area.
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

Re: Pantheon of my world

Post  Nerethel on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:41 pm

I have been toying with clerical magic, making it a separate source of power than the arcane, but I find that it just muddles things up. Essentially, if you call the Magic stat Faith instead, it fills the same function. If you act outside the influence of your particular deity, Magic should function less effectively, but I think that would be GM fiat, as the gods are basically fragments of the the planet's consciousness, the same source as magic anyway.

Again, any ideas are welcomed - you're all alpha testers!
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

Pantheon

Post  DM on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:26 am

Your Pantheon is huge ... are you sure you want to start it that big?

I mean unless you have that many religons really thought out ... I'd consider starting with a twelve sider ... then as a supplement introduce the others.

Just a thought.

Eric
DM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerethel on Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:10 pm

I think the pantheon is ok at it's current size. Consider that many regions will have knowledge or belief in a few gods, and they might be known by different names. The twenty gods are essentially aspects of the planet's psyche, and it's all evened out in the end, I believe.

Besides that, the 12 sider has 20 aspects and 12 gods, kind of the opposite problem. :-)

Also, I want to keep supplements to a minimum.
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

Hmmm ...

Post  DM on Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:42 pm

Yes I remember the God of Luck ... see the other article in this thread ...

And Ganja needs a new name ... sorry, unless you want him to be the diety of pot heads.

And if you are going to have this many religons, it might make more sense to give it more weight than just being the same as "Magic".

You are still working on it and all that ... but as we test, we might find a function for it.

Eric
DM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerethel on Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:02 pm

I agree! Ganja has to have an identity makeover. He was the last name in my list. Just kinda happened when I was thinking on his aspects. I've had worse ideas...

As for magic, it is the way the world expresses itself. If you wAnt to follow a particular aspect of that elusive personality, it's called religion. The reason it gains a following is because it works. Not that each god is a true entity of it's own.

As for testing, this is exactly what I want and need: constructive input. I am not set on the whole 20 god pantheon, but it's really settling well in my head. But the input will make this all come together nicer, and I really appreciate that.
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum