Nerethel The System

Go down

Nerethel The System

Post  DM on Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:51 am

Guess I can start with some questions ...

Class Based (Like D&D)? Skill Based (Like Shadowrun)? What dice are primarily used (The mixed set, 6 Siders, 10 Siders, etc)?

Eric
DM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Nerethel The System

Post  Nerethel on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:22 pm

There are no classes, levels, hit points or specific spells. Nor are there listed powers or generally anything that would indicate a future supplement. This was important to me.

The basics:
It is essentially a skill-based game. Each character has physical and mental attributes, broken down into Might, Move, Thought and Groove. (These are not used on their own, but is kinda fun to say).

Attributes are: Strength and Body, Dexterity and Agility, Intelligence and Wisdom, Charisma and Comeliness, and Magic.

Skills fall under attributes. Knowledge goes under Intelligence, Dodge is under Agility, Athletics is under Strength, and so on.

Each skill has specializations that fall under it. Move Silent is under Stealth, Swing Weapon is under Armed Combat, Spot is under Perception, etc.

Attributes' average is 5, which can be bought up or down with some starting points. Skills start at 0, but can also be bought up, with a limit of their linked Attribute. (With a Dex of 6, you can buy Slight of Hand no higher than 6.)

Specializations work the same way: Can't raise Dance higher than your Perform skill.

To test a skill, add the attribute, skill and specialization together, and roll dice from a table. (which essentially means you roll dice that would add up to that total)

This either gets opposed by another roll or a Target Number.

That is the basics of the game's premise. More later.
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerethel on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:23 pm

Oh! And you use all dice except the d20.
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

So ...

Post  DM on Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:29 pm

So recapping ....

So its Ability+Skill vs Target or Opposed.

Is there an extensive list of skills and specializations? Or is it player imagination?

Example forcing a door open ...

Strength+Kick vs Target of Door difficulty?

Example Combat ...

Strength+Armed vs Strength+Armed? Opposed?

Or

Inititiave Winner Strength+Armed vs Dexterity+Dodge
Initiative Loser Strength+Armed vs Dexterity+Dodge?

And I get the feeling ... no HP's ... so you using a Condition like chart (Think Shadowrun Boxes)?

And if you are going to include magic ... what is the balancing factor between melee and magic (2nd Ed D&D used limited Spells, Shadowrun used Drain, etc).

Eric
DM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerethel on Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:29 pm

Wonderful questions!

Skills are listed out, with options for more. Specializations are the same, with more input allowed on them, more customization.

Most skills have one or more that can oppose them, like Dexterity - Armed Combat can be opposed by Agility - Acrobatics - Dodge or Dexterity - Armed Combat - Parry, among others.

Players act in initiative order, like other games.

Damage is subtracted directly from attributes. Which attributes are affected depend on the nature of the damage. Blunt damage affects all attributes evenly, as they can hurt you, knock you loopy, or disfigure you. Slashing damage is Might and Move attributes, and piercing affects Strength and Body directly. More deadly, without the nasty disfigurement. Magic damages mental attributes generally, unless you're creating fire or other physical manifestations.

Yes, magic is checked for wierdness. It's the part of the game I like the most, and also the most frustrating part to nail down...

You have your magic attribute, casting skill, and specializations like sorcery, spirit, enchantment, etc. These are skills rolled normally, with a target number (TN) decided upon with the type of desired effects. There is also a difficulty, which is subtracted from the skill roll. There are three possibilities then:
1. You exceed the target number, and the spell does what you wanted.
2. The roll is 0 or less. The spell fails and you take one point of damage to your Magic attribute.
3. The roll is over 1 but less than the TN. You keep the total and can continue casting the next round. You can do this until you drop the spell, succeed, fail, or get interrupted, where you lose the spell and take the damage.

The details are a little more involved of course, but that is almost expected. I can post what I have written online, after my second job tonight after 10pm.

Ask me more! This is fun...
Kris
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

More ...

Post  DM on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:40 pm

So your stats are basically the same as your HPs ... specific attacks attack specific stats.

How many attacks effect the magic stat?

What is the recovery time on Stat loss due to combat?

Are spells "constructed" or is there a list?

What is the starting rules for a characters ... you mentioned all 5's with an adjustment (unless I miss read).

I was thinking of google doc-ing a basic character sheet to get an understanding of character design. And, with a character listed up it would make for
more concrete examples of what he can and can't do ... and we could work through how the game "feels".

Eric
DM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerethel on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:01 pm

I will answer these later. Have to start my job and typing on an iPhone tires out my thumbs! :-P
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerethel on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:34 pm

No attacks directly affect the Magic stat. Most people have a Magic of 0 anyway. About the only external force that could affect Magic is the use of Magic on you directly.

Stat losses are recovered as one point of physical (Str, Bod, Dex or Agi), one point of mental (Int, Wis, Cha, Com), and one point of Magic (Mag) per night of rest. If any stat reaches 0, the character falls unconscious. If Body reaches 0, the character dies. Recovery from a stat that reaches 0 reduces the maximum of that stat by 1, which can be re-earned by spending experience points. The game can be brutal, so combat is not necessarily a key feature to the game. Other challenges should be just as prevalent, if not more so.

Spells are constructed, for the most part. The effect is decided upon according to the need. I find a list of spells is a great way to introduce supplements later. HOWEVER. Using the Magic - Infuse - Scribe skill, one can effectively 'cast' a spell into written form, so it can be cast again later for effect. The writing is permanent - casting from a scroll doesn't use it up or anything. The TN for casting from a scroll is halved, and the Difficulty is reduced by one, but the effect is always the same as when the author created the scroll. There is no making it more powerful or reducing the effects. You get what is written, for whatever the outcome. An Intelligence - Knowledge - Occult skill should be used to determine the effects of a scroll before casting from it blindly!

Right now I am giving an allotment of points for a character, like 12 or 15, with which to buy up Attributes, and about 25 to 30 for skills and specializations. Higher scores cost more per point than lower ones.

I will be posting a character sheet (an automated Excel one! Ooo!) in a short while, if it will translate well to Google docs. Otherwise it will be in Excel format. I will bring blank sheets, as well as a variety of pre-mades. I know there will not be a printer there, so I'll bring all that I can, just in case.

Nerethel

Back to top Go down

Damage

Post  DM on Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:55 am

Its sounded like damage effected all stats of the same type. Physical and Mental.

Do physical attacks effect "ALL" of them, or just one of them?

And if its just one of them, is it attackers choice or defenders choice?

Are there other ways to "Heal" besides bed rest?

Eric

DM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerethel on Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:04 pm

Damage types (pierce, blunt, slash, fire, mental, ice, etc.) each affect different attributes. Pierce affects Body and Strength, divided evenly between the stats. Remainders go to the higher stat. Magic can choose designations, depending on how it manifests.

You can heal with magic, rest, and healing skills. Some potions can be created as well with Magic - Infuse - Alchemy, effectively pitting a healing spell into a drink.
Nerethel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down